Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm Ba-ack!




Snake Update...


We have been seeing the snake about every day now. It bothers me soooo much. Claire came in crying hysterically one day, and I just ignored her, like I usually do since it seems to happen sooo much. (the boy who cried wolf) Anyway, she finally told me that she and Chloe were playing on the swing set and there was a snake by the slide. It really scared her. I walked out to look, but didn't see anything. I jumped from the end of the dock to the swing set- really fast and climbed to the top of the wooded swing set. I saw the snake go under the slide then. I then had a dilemma of how to get down from the swing set. I just went really fast- if you can picture that!


I had Claire call Joel and tell him about it. It isn't at the top of his priorities right now. I just can't take it anymore! The kids can't even play outside! Joel assures me that the snakes won't hurt them. My comeback to Joel is that mice don't hurt people either. The other thing is I kept telling myself it was just the same snake from the front of the house on a nature walk or something.


Well. This morning. We are having some friends over to make freezer jam. Chloe and Claire were sitting outside waiting in their lawn chairs. I didn't tell them that they weren't arriving for another 2 hours! Anyway. They come running inside to tell me that Chloe saw a snake. I went out in my pajamas to take a look. I stayed on the driveway. As I am looking at the snake in the grass I see ANOTHER snake about a foot away from it by the detached garage in the rocks. I have to be honest. I started to cry. One snake is bad. 2 snakes is well, twice as bad? I think it worse than twice as bad. I told Claire and Chloe to go get Joel ASAP.


Joel moseys on out and once again takes the stance that it isn't a big deal. I start pleading with him to please do something or I am calling an exterminator. He thinks I am being ridiculous. He tells me to take the kids in the house cause he doesn't want them to see this. He has a shovel in his hand. This worries me cause I can't imagine him being fast enough to kill one with a shovel. Claire wants to know what daddy doesn't want her to see. I tell her that maybe he doesn't want us to see him cause he might get scared too. (probably the truth!) We watch out the door anyway.

Well. Not much happens and then... Joel acts like he is going to give up. I plead with him again. How do you get rid of snakes. He says he can shoot them. I was like- good! Do it! I was like, please call Runt, he'll know what to do. Joel is laughing at me again. I get teary eyed again. He is worried about the neighbors. I assure him, they don't care, we hear gun shots all the time out here. I head inside to get dressed and tidy up a little.

As I am making my bed I hear 2 gunshots! Music to my ears. I peek out the window and see Joel walking around with his holster on and a gun in his hand. My hero! Honestly I haven't felt such love for Joel in quite awhile! :) I immediately start thinking of ways to thank him...


He only got one though. The other either got away or is injured. At least now I know what we can do about our snakes!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

Ooohh, I feel your pain and am glad at least one snakey is gone. I have to admit though, reading today's blog did make me smile just thinking of the whole scene. Way to go, Joel! A snake is not a big target for a gun so he must have a pretty good aim. Happy jam making! Karen

Leigh Ann said...

What a man,
what a man,
what a mighty good man!

Yeah for Joel!!
Cute story. :)

Anonymous said...

Get rid of the snakes and you'll have more spiders. And you're right...mice don't hurt people.

Leigh Ann said...

Get rid of the snakes and get a couple of cats. Cats eat mice. Then go to Lowe's and get some Bayer insect spray that lasts for nine months (really more like six). Have Joel spray all around the foundation of your house and then you won't have any more spiders either.

- Keith

Anonymous said...

Poor Jenny! Wow, Joel must be a pretty good shot to hit such a small target!

Snakes don't bother me so much. My boys would be out there trying to catch them for sure! But, I do tend to overreact to spiders. I even made David suck one up in the shopvac for me once when Matt was gone. Then I put the vac outside just in case it found a way to crawl out. :) I admit, I had to chuckle picturing you hopping around your swingset "fast".

You need a couple good farm cats to live outside. That would probably take care of your mice AND snakes. We've had a way diminished rabbit population this year just b/c of having Betty (our dog).